A repeat of sorts seemed inevitable in the by elections to seven assembly constituencies in Andhra Pradesh. The by polls;are slated on March 18 and surveys reveal these elections may repeat all previous by-polls held subsequent to the 2009 general elections.
In Telangana from where the elections are slated in six segments the Congress and TDP, two major contenders for power in the state over the past few decades, would have to fight for the second position in all the seats. In Mahabubnagar district, three segments are going for by-polls and here, the Congress is likely to get the second position in two seats, while in Mahabubnagar seat it may have to suffice with the third position.
The TDP, which could not even secure the deposits in the previous by elections in 2010, is more or less placed in the same precarious position and it is likely to fare better in just two seats, i.e., in Ghanpur Station and Adilabad respectively.
Surveys conducted by independent analysts spread across these seven segments revealed that the resigned MLAs, irrespective of their party affiliation are likely to retain the seats in all the seats. The contest is keen in Mahabubnagar seat and here too the sentiment vote is divided among two prime contenders BJP and TRS. The TRS has got a clear upperhand among the minority sections in this segment, while the students are divided between the two. TDP and Congress though fielding strong candidates in the Mahabubnagar segment are vying fr the third position.
Constituency wise figures indicate that the Nagarkurnool segment may witness an almost one sided voting and the respondents met by the survey team say that the Telangana nominee with Auto Rickshaw symbol Nagam Janardhan Reddy is likely to secure more than 65 percent votes in the polls.
In Station Ghanpur, a strong anti incumbency factor is there but the present TRS nominee and resigned Congress MLA Dr. T. Rajaiah is likely to secure 53 percent votes. In Adilabad, the resigned MLA is likely to secure 52 percent votes, in Kollapur, the TRS nominee Jupalli Krishna Rao is sure to garner a support of 58 percent of the polled votes.
In Kamareddy too, the TRS nominee is sure to secure about 55 percent votes , while in Mahabubnagar the TRS is likely to get 38 percent, while the BJP the same 38 percent votes. In the Kovuru segment of Nellore district the YSR CP nominee is likely to secure above 51 percent of the polled votes while the Congress and TDP are likely to share the remaining 49 percent votes.